Sunday, June 13, 2010

A not-so-nice parting 'gift' :(

I was really pissed off this morning.

Let’s start the story from the beginning: I need to back up files online but I don’t have internet at home so I had to do it in the office. Problem is I don’t have enough time to do that. So the only way I could make sure all files were backed up before I left Blantyre was to bring my laptop to the office, leave it for a day and retrieve it when I come back from Mulanje.

Usually we get the key to enter the department from the guard house. But when I tried to get it from them, the key was not available. And there was nobody in the department. We checked and found that one of the colleagues had taken the key home. I certainly didn’t want to leave my laptop in the office overnight for fear of theft. So I called her to bring back the key. She shouldn’t have taken the key home because the department doesn’t belong to her alone!

Unfortunately she said her house was ‘very far’ from the university (which I later found out wasn’t true at all!) hence she couldn’t come back. It was just 530pm. I wasn’t calling her middle of the night. I explained I need to leave Blantyre the next morning and I need to retrieve my stuff before leaving so could she please return the key now. Ah well she repeated the ‘very far, very far’ excuse so I gave up and said alright we would do it tomorrow morning.

I actually suspected she shouldn't live so far away so I asked her where she lived probably I could get somebody to give me a lift to her house. But I received no reply. I also tried the Head of Department who has the spare key unfortunately she's 'very far' as well.. ohhh welllllll.... and the guards are just useless - they don't ask who took the key, who do or do not return the key, have no spare key, even if anything happens in the department they just can't enter the building to do something.. basically I don't know what they're there for!

I was really worried the whole night about my baby (laptop). If I lose it I'm not going to have another one here as it's bloooody expensive!!!! I even dreamt it was stolen. Yea I was quite a paranoid.

We agreed to meet at 8am because I needed to leave Blantyre at 930am. I was at the gate at 8 o’clock sharp but saw no sign of her. No surprise actually. Most of the times she said she would meet me at the department and she usually didn’t make it. I called her. She shouted ‘I’m on my way!’ – AT 8AM.

At 830am. No sign of her. I called her again. She shouted back at me ‘don’t call me! You’re distracting me! I’m driving!’ Ohhhhh FINEEEEE...

She showed up after one hour. With a nice headscarf tied around her head. She came in for work. So bringing the key wasn't at all the purpose why she came. She didn't even apologise when she saw me. Just threw me the key. I was furious I told her how disappointed I was she just brushed me away saying ‘oh I am sorry. But you don’t understand.’

Oh I don’t understand!! I DON'T UNDERSTAND?!?!! What the !"£$%^&&*?!? I waited for ONE WHOLE NIGHT. Then I waited ONE FULL HOUR. All I’ve got for the explanation was ‘you don’t understand!’ Sure.. I don’t understand!!


I haven’t stopped learning for even one minute since I came.. and until the last minute before I left I learned something new!! Ahhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment