This is magnificent – I had thought it should just be the same with what I saw from pictures but NO, please, you need to see it with your own eyes.. I felt goose bumps all over when I stood in front of this.. how do I describe this.. this very mother nature which is so powerful, so lively, so beautiful.... I was stunned, speechless indeed! You know I could just sit and watch it for the whole day! It’s unbelievably, overwhelmingly, amazingly... (use all words you can..) ahhh.. I don’t have sufficient English vocab for it!
I was really glad that I made it to Victoria Fall. My two trip mates didn’t want to pay $50 to cross the border to Zimbabwe to see the Fall from the Zimbabwean side. Holding a Malaysian passport, I have no problem getting into African countries without visa. Indeed Malaysian passports are very travel friendly – I do not need visa travelling in Europe and Africa, which is just too convenient to be true!
So I walked alone for about 1km to cross the Zambia-Zimbabwe border. It was a bit scary as many people tried to sell things to me (who came VERY close to me). one of the most commonly sold items at the border is Zimbabwean currency, which is of no value now – people sell ‘one trillion’ Zimbabwean money, which is ‘worth less than toilet paper’ (according to the local). I was intrigued. But dared not stop to look at the notes as I was walking alone. I later saw a note from a friend which had print of ‘valid until 31st December 2009’.. interesting huh!
My adventure to Zimbabwe was uneventful apart from a slip at a place called the ‘dangerous point’ (haha.. could kill myself indeed!). This is the month where the water flow at the Fall was at the peak of the year hence I couldn’t see the whole stretch of the Fall as there was just too much water forming too much mist in the air and blocked the view. At the viewing points I was almost drenched if not for the umbrella I always carried with me!
I went back to the hostel and showed off the beautiful pictures to the two crazy Americans. They were convinced that they needed to get in no matter how experience it is but guess what the next day they just sneaked in the Fall by pretending to be tenants staying in the hotel nearby the fall! Ah maybe that’s one of the good things being a mzungu here – people just believe what you claim yourself to be!
No comments:
Post a Comment