Sunday, July 11, 2010

Peter Mawanga Concert 27/06/10

Excellent!!! Thumb’s up!!

Actually we (I went with my house owners F and I) almost left because it took so long for the concert to start.. it was supposed to start at 2pm but because the sound engineer didn’t come so it took them almost two hours to tune the instruments.. arrgghh – tell me about ‘African time’!! however I am soooo glad we stayed otherwise I wouldn’t have chance to see Peter Mawanga – this band plays so well I would definitely say they deserve a concert at the London O2! I heard that they did have a concert somewhere in London some time ago so perhaps I’ll see them again in the UK!

There’re three things in Malawi I find most rewarding – people, music, and starry nights!

People – needless to elaborate more, super friendly. Although I do have difficulties to connect with those who don’t speak English but language isn’t the primary factor in friendship. They provide me with a very different outlook of life. Very different – that difference intrigues me and makes me wonder why I only see things one way and what possibly could other ways be.

Music – so far I’ve been to two concerts and both are amazing.. I find African music very communal – it naturally gathers people to sing/dance along a very popular example is the World Cup theme song This Time for Africa! Wow this song is just soooo popular – once you play this song you engage EVERYBODY, IMMEDIATELY! That’s also the one of the most popular songs (after waka waka) among local clubs nobody gets tired even if it was played continuously 2 or 3 times! They are particularly good with drums and you know how drums attract crowd. And you get drums everywhere you go they aren’t as expensive as violins, guitars; aren’t as massive as pianos; drums are musical instrument for the people.

And thirdly – starry nights! In the UK I only had ONE chance to see this – that was when I was at Lake District and that gained lots of wow WoW WOW from us! But here.. you get that EVERY NIGHT. Yes, EVERY night! Yeah! Every night it’s so pleasant to just sit outside and look at the sky..! unless there’s too much cloud, you don’t have light pollution to block you from this nature beauty! You have development, you lose the sky – yes this world is fair in this sense!

So now, my next mission is to get a Peter Mawanga’s CD!

No comments:

Post a Comment