I’ve just arrived Mzuzu. I’ve found a place to stay via one Taiwanese friend whom I met in Lilongwe. On arrival to the house, I was introduced to another five Taiwanese. So there are seven Chinese (Chinese by ethic group I mean), including me, staying under one roof.
Suddenly I can speak the language I need less effort to find the right words. But strange enough, I found myself lost.
I found myself sitting on a table with the other four – two playing PSP; and another two looking at the screens of their laptops. I was trying to initiate some conversations but I’ve only got intermittent replies when they caught a second in between their virtual worlds to answer me.
I felt I was dragged from Africa back to the reality, which I am going back to again in less than two weeks.
At this moment, I know I am going to miss Malawi, terribly, when I leave.
I am going to miss you FM and IM – and your baby who is coming to this world soon. I’m so glad I found you, which I never would if I ever got a chance to check my emails (which allowed me access to ‘better’ choice of accommodation, instead of your house which is an inconvenient location) before I got to Lilongwe. You were the only one who texted me instead of emailed and that brought me to you. You had given me such wonderful friendship. We spent so little time together but I felt I had been looking for friends like you for a long time. Thank you for taking me like a sister, you are my brother and sister too.
And I definitely am going to miss you TM. You are so inspirational yet so humble. I can’t say more good things about you. As I said, you ever have any fan club, I would be the first one to sign up. I’m so blessed to have met you. You know when we talked about your vision I almost cried. Even now when I thought about our conversation tears come into my eyes. Strange indeed, we actually had talked only twice, but both times were real talks. The second time you know it was so powerful for me as if I had been waiting to hear these for a long time. I too thank you for your friendship you crossed my path for such a short time but left such a great impact.
PM, saying I am going to miss you doesn’t measure up to what I actually feel. Meeting you is indeed the highlight of my trip. I wish I could have met you earlier. Your music has accompanied me for three months. I had loved it even before I learned about what the songs meant. I loved it even more after I learned how you put your heart and soul into bringing change to the society via your music. It’s not just music, you’re delivering civic education. This is exactly what is lacking here in Malawi – very less people cares but you do. I really admire you for your hard work, courage, passion and vision. Am I going to see you again? I doubt so. But I will continue to pray for your success.
In less than two weeks, I am going back to the world where no stranger will come forward with a grin to say ‘hi how are you?’; nobody will come shake hand with me the Malawian way; nobody will throw me that kind of innocent smile which really melts my heart; nobody will sit around the table and chat with me for hours.. nobody will........ the list goes on......
I didn’t expect I would ever get so emotionally attached prior to this field trip. My initial intention was just to quickly collect some data then leave as soon as possible. Now leaving seems to be so difficult. Many have asked me if I will come back – yes, the answer is yes; I don’t know when but yes.
I think I have fallen in love with Malawi. I am in love. Haha. I am. Indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment