I arrived London Heathrow. Uneventful. Of course you don’t expect anything peculiar to happen once you’re out of Africa.. so I’m getting back to the ‘safe zone’ where things are operating in a timely and predictable manner, and even if things get out of control you can always put things back in ‘order’ by, for example, complaining.
Oh ya I am back to the UK.
I brought back two checked in baggage because Ethiopian Airlines is so generous to allow 2 pieces of checked luggage each weighs 23kg maximum. So I tried to make the best out of such generosity. But you know I forgot to factor in an important consideration – i.e. nobody is going to help me with the luggage. I have been so spoilt with helpful people around for three months. I forgot that I had to do things all by myself once I step on the land of a ‘developed’ nation.
So I was just standing in front of the ticket barrier – I can assure you that I really looked helpless with two massive baggage. But the huge walkie talkie ticket man standing idly at the barrier didn’t even bothered to take a glance at me. Ok fine maybe I should just opened my mouth to ask for help. But ah ah.. (I learn this very African expression that means ‘no no’) the reply was simply ‘do it yourself’ (I am too busy being idle! – ah this expression I added it myself of course). I later had to ask help from many other passers by to carry one of the suitcases when I needed to get through the escalators. And people only helped up the extent which is convenient to them. I’ve lost my African people who would take a big detour just to help you to your destination. That’s why I needed to ask help again and again.
At that moment I just wished to turn back and take the next flight back to Malawi. I definitely do not wish to spend too much time in a place where people are too cautious and too busy to even take a glimpse at other human beings.
I am going to miss you, all of you, for as long as I don’t see you..
No comments:
Post a Comment