Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Meeting PM - another highlight of my trip 29/07/10

I am not a person who chases after stars. But I really like PM’s music. The first time I saw him on stage my jaw dropped when he played. Perhaps I didn’t expect it to be so good, after getting fed up waiting for two hours – I was getting impatient and didn’t think anything good of the band. But all long wait was worth it when he played.

After that for two months I have been playing his CD, though not understand even a word of it.

I grew fonder of his music after a friend explained to me what the lyrics actually mean. I was so glad to learn somebody is doing something right here in Malawi. Somebody is doing something to try to improve things. Somebody is speaking for the under-privileged. Somebody is giving education through music.

Nearing to the end of my trip, I got his number by chance from one of his close friends. I texted him to ask if I could ever get an autograph (well of course autograph was just an excuse of course.. haha..) but received no reply perhaps he thought I was some kind of nuisance. Ah well doesn’t matter as long as he knows somebody likes his music even though not understanding a word of it so this should encourage him.

But lucky star shines on me after a few days he texted me back! Oh gosh I was so happy – and this time instead of an autograph, I asked for an interview.. (NOT to the information to my supervisors please...LOL!) – of course again interview was just a camouflage. I really wanted to know what motivates this person and how he could think differently amidst so many who don’t!

There was some hassle before we could meet as we both were extremely busy. We finally agreed to squeeze some time between work to meet up. I was so stupid not even to google him before meeting up. I actually didn’t know how he looked like! Well I had seen him performing but he was too far away for me to have a good look. What I knew was just his voice. But thank God he’s cute – with a boyish smile, which you can’t tell belongs to a star!

Well I am blind to looks most of the time – what matters most is what contains at heart. And gosh – he’s really BEAUTIFUL at heart! We spoke about his music, how he came to play and compose, how he was brought up, how he spoke against the politicians, how he worked through numerous nights to create songs for people (note: FOR people).. we saw his studio, his house, even his four pet dogs. I was really impressed. Really impressed. I had done more than 100 interviews. No interviewees aged below 40 could speak with such vision and passion. He’s so sure of what he wants to do; so passionate about people; so determined to become the teacher (via songs) to the fellow Malawians despite not selling his albums as good as others who sell love songs.. these were not just words. After talking to so many Malawians, I could really tell when people are just talking but don’t mean to do what they talk. This guy is amazing. He has such wisdom. I think those professors in the universities have to learn from him.

You must think I’m falling in love with this guy – oh yes, but not romantically as you thought. There wasn’t such chemical but I really admire him. If there’s anything I would say I gain so much from this trip, that’s meeting him and his music. It speaks right into my heart. I guess the timing was good – if I were to meet him the first month after I arrived, I wouldn’t have felt and shared so much.

And yeah, I love PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment