Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bridal Shower (27/05/10)

Cecilia brought me along for a friend’s niece’s ‘bridal shower’ – a pre-wedding hen-party-like ceremony. Only ladies are invited. Simple food was served and loud music was played. There was a ‘counselor’ giving explanation to the group about how a bride should behave – from grooming, dressing, how to interact with groom’s family, etc etc.. I wonder if sex education was given at the same time lol! I actually didn’t know what people were talking about because everything was spoken in Chichewa however you could tell from the body language!

Then the fun bit came when the music was played very very loudly and everyone danced to the bride to ‘give blessing’ – by throwing money into a basket. The same concept of Chinese bringing ‘ang pow’ to wedding dinner. This was done for many rounds. So you ought to stand up and throw money otherwise ‘it’s embarrassing to just sit there..’ (quoted from Cecilia). From conversation later I learned that Cecilia threw in 1000kc – no wonder she had all new notes! She changed the 1000kc into smaller notes so that she can keeps on throwing in 20c/50kc per 20/50kc. The act of throwing money into the basket and dance around the bride was just fun!

And I was the only one holding camera and snapping pictures everywhere – felt myself like a tourist at times.. but ahh.. yes I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment