Sunday, May 30, 2010

Everything is so expensive! (16/05/10)

This was the verse I kept talking to myself when I browsed through the shelves at a local supermarket called Shoprite.. the first thing I went for was fruits. So I thought I shall have my luxurious time now (out of the UK) to taste cheap, juicy tropical fruits.. but nooooo.. all they sold were just apples, oranges, bananas (yes some tropical fruits but no different from what I used to get in Sainsbury’s!).. well not only that, all of the fruits are more expensive than those we get from Sainsbury’s. I thought I had the maths wrong.. so I stood in front of huge piles of apples doing my maths for one full minute – MK1099 for ten apples that’s almost £5 (MK230 for a pound).. am I right??? I just couldn’t believe my eyes!

Well maybe the fruits are expensive. So I moved on to bakery.. I quickly glanced through all prices – nothing was below MK300. That means nothing costs less than a pound. Only a few packs of nearly-expired bread were reduced to MK100. Just a few cheese buns cost MK350.

You might now think nobody will shop at this very expensive place – but NO, this place was PACKED! There were queues everywhere – at the bakery, at the tills; and trolleys full of groceries.. that means people do all their shopping (food, household items, etc.. everything) here – I suddenly felt myself so poor among people from the ‘among the poorest nations in the world’!

I didn’t bring enough cash. And didn’t bring my credit or debit card either. I ended up putting back things I needed back to the shelves. I even asked the girl who priced loose items at the fruit section to take away two apples as I could only afford two apples..!!! guess how much two apples cost me – MK240 – yes that’s MORE THAN A POUND FOR TWO BLOODY APPLES...!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment